Your guide to Hong Kong VISA

Application of VISA to Hong Kong

To access Hong Kong, No VISA (entry permit) is required for any purpose if you are the holder of  of the following travel documents:

  • Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Passport,
  • British National (Overseas) Passport,
  • Hong Kong Certificate of Identity,
  • Hong Kong Re-entry permit (for entry from the Mainland of China and the Macao Special Administrative Region only),
  • Hong Kong Seaman’s Identity Book,
  • Hong Kong Document of Identity for Visa Purposes provided that the document is valid or the holder’s limit of stay in Hong Kong has not expired.
  • Travel documents bearing one of the following endorsements:
    • “Holder’s eligibility for Hong Kong permanent identity card verified.”
    • “The holder of this travel document has the right to land in Hong Kong. (Section 2AAA, Immigration Ordinance, Cap. 115, Laws of Hong Kong)”
    • Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card.

An application for a visa/entry permit to enter the HKSAR for a visit or transit may be favourably considered if:

  • the applicant’s bona fides are not in doubt;
  • the applicant has adequate funds to cover the duration of his/her stay without working; and
  • where the application is for a transit visa/entry permit, holder holds an onward ticket to the place of holder’s destination unless the destination is the Mainland of China or Macao.

Re-Entry into Hong Kong

The HKSAR’s non-permanent residents, regardless of their nationality and type of travel document held, do not need a re-entry visa for entering Hong Kong on condition that they return within their legal limit of stay and have no change regarding their residential status.

For the visitors or Hong Kong residents (excluding permanent identity card holder), they need to apply for a transfer of endorsement so that his or her valid status in Hong Kong is indicated in the new passport or travel document if they renew their passport or travel document. If they want to travel before the procedure is done, it is necessary for them to present both the old and new passports (or travel documents) for departure and arrival immigration clearance at the Hong Kong immigration control points.

“Resident VISA”

Technically, there is no the type of VISA named Resident VISA. However, we can understand this term as the VISA not for Imported Workers, Domestic Helper for Abroad, Training Visa, Visitor and Travel Pass.

Entry for Visit or Transit

If the applicant’s supporting document are believed to be bona fide and are not in doubt, it is believed that the applicants have enough funds to pay the term of his or her stay without working, and applicants for transit visa or permits hold an return ticket to his or her destination (except for the destination is the Mainland China or Macao SAR), then an application for an entry visa or permit for entering Hong Kong for a transit or a visit on the purpose of leisure, social or business will be satisfactorily considered.

Employment as Professional or Entry for Investment

It is not suitable for the one entered Hong Kong for employment under the Immigration Arrangements for non-local graduates, Admission Scheme for Mainland Talents and Professionals, Supplementary Labor Scheme or as Foreign Domestic Helpers.

If the applicants have neither objection of security nor record of serious crime, have well education background, have confirmed offer of employment and are employed in a job related to his or her academic qualifications or working experience that cannot be easily replaced by the local work force, and have the remuneration package which is mostly equal to the current market level for professionals in Hong Kong and are in a position to make large contribution to the Hong Kong’s economy , an application for an entry visa or permit for entering Hong Kong for investment will be satisfactorily considered. In the remuneration package, it includes income, accommodation, medical and other fringe benefits. For well education background, it generally means to have first degree in the related area, yet under special situations, good technical qualifications, proven professional abilities or related experience and achievements proven by documentary evidence are also considered.

Whether there is any real vacancy for a worker in Hong Kong, skills, knowledge and experience needed for the job, any similar terms and conditions of employment as Hong Kong markets, any suitable qualification and related job experience, and any job to be filled locally are the criteria to be considered as well.

The above scenario is not applicable for the Chinese residents of the Mainland and nationals of Afghanistan, Cambodia, Cuba, Laos, Korea (Democratic People’s Republic of), Nepal and Vietnam.

The one entered Hong Kong under this arrangement can enter Hong Kong with their spouse and unmarried dependent children under 18 years old.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply